Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Huntress #2


Cover by Guillem March, Tomeu Morey

Huntress #2 (November 9, 2011)
Writer: Paul Levitz
Penciller: Marcus To
Inker: John Dell
Colorist: Andrew Dalhouse
Letterer: Sal Cipriano

It is my profound opinion that Huntress is one of the most undeservedly underrated characters in the DC Universe. She’s also one of the most real characters to me: very dynamic, strong-willed, resilient, flawed and self-assured.

I love her, okay?

So I’ll read basically anything featuring her, especially the comics in which she stars, though those are few and far between. While I enjoy her appearances in Birds of Prey, I sometimes just want her to be the main character.

Huntress #2 gave me that chance and luckily, I wasn’t terribly disappointed.


Levitz imbued Huntress with her distinct and tough personality that I love so much: incredible confidence and righteous anger over particularly dangerous and seedy crime. This time, it is sex trafficking and gun running in Italy that she’s focusing on, especially how it affects the innocent (and mostly female) refugees from “the Arab revolutions,” (Helena didn’t need to specify any more than that, I guess).

Armed with her investigative abilities and a code-breaker from Gotham, Helena tracks the gun running to an oil tanker that is also holding female refugees seized for the sex trade. Luckily, Huntress is waiting in the shadows and proceeds to kick ass and rescue the innocent women. Is it just me or does it seem that whenever I read a comic starring a female super hero, the writers tend to throw in some female-focused trouble: sex trafficking, prostitution, sexual assault, domestic violence, etc. I’ve seen all of those in comics with female heroes at the center and while male heroes have also dealt with these issues, it doesn’t seem quite even. The implications of that are rather troubling to me.

Anyway, this issue had plenty of action and explosions. Levitz balanced Huntress very well between devoted detective and violent vigilante. He also gave the reader valuable expositions without slowing down the pacing, which isn’t an easy feat. The story was definitely solid, with a thoroughly dislikable and unfortunately realistic villain, though I have to admit, it wasn’t the most exciting issue I’ve ever read.

The art by To was also pretty great. He illustrated the many women in this issue realistically, thank God, and even managed to make the fight scenes feel rather fresh. I’m also so very happy that we’ve gotten rid of that exposed stomach costume. That was always the one thing about Huntress I couldn’t stand.

Either way, Huntress #2 was a fun time though I have to admit that it didn’t make me want to read #3 so much as make me wish that Huntress had more of her own personal titles in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment