Monday, August 8, 2011

Daredevil #1

Cover by Paolo Rivera,
John Romita Sr., Neal
Adams, Marcos Martin
Daredevil #1 (July 20, 2011)
Writer: Mark Waid
Penciller: Paolo Rivera, Joe Rivera
Colorist: Javier Rodriguez
Letterer: VC’s Joe Caramagna

I have been told to read Daredevil comics for a long time now. Apparently I would really enjoy this superhero, despite the fact that he was thoroughly butchered by Ben Affleck in that 2003 film (which, I am proud to say, I never saw). The little I knew of the guy definitely seemed interesting, such as his origin story and the fact that he’s blind. Nonetheless, I never went searching for Daredevil comics probably simply out of a lack of understanding of his history so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that Marvel relaunched Daredevil this summer. Finally, a clean break to acquaint myself with Matt Murdock!

Though this was Daredevil #1, there was definitely backstory to this issue that I probably could have used. This wasn’t so much as a relaunch as return from a long sabbatical for Matt Murdock. He is attempting to fix his reputation after being outed as Daredevil all the while denying that he is in fact, the Man Without Fear.


Though I have no familiarity with other Daredevil comics to compare this with, I thoroughly enjoyed this issue. It was exciting, a lot of fun and thoroughly engaging. I immediately liked this guy, which is frankly surprising since I am traditionally so used to the dark and broody superheroes than the grinning, devil-may-care ones. Marvel excels at them, however, and the strong writing in their comics, such as in this one, always makes me a fan.

He stops an attempted kidnapping at a mob wedding, gets his picture in the papers and then gets his ass handed to him by the prosecution at a trial in which he’s the defense attorney. Murdock realizes that getting both his careers on track will be harder than he initially thought, especially by the surprise appearance by another beloved Marvel character at the end of the issue.
 
Waid provided the reader with a solid story, dynamic characterization and plenty of multi-layered conflict. Murdock had an enjoyable narrative voice. The action scenes were well-choreographed and exciting. Correspondingly, the art by Paolo and Joe Rivera was very clean and fresh-looking. It was very happy, if that doesn’t sound too corny and vague and nonsensical.

Based on the strong writing and geekily awesome cliffhanger in Daredevil #1, I am definitely looking forward to the next issue. I am also much more curious to look into other Daredevil comics as well so please recommend any that you know of!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear new Daredevil is pretty good, and I'm really glad you're finally checking him out. The Frank Miller run was really good, as was the Bendis run. And Kevin Smith wrote a Daredevil comic that I actually quite enjoyed. In any case, I have a giant pile of Daredevil I'd be glad to lend you next time I see you.

    ReplyDelete