Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Mighty Thor #3: The Galactus Seed 3: The Stranger

Cover by
Olivier Coipel,
Mark Morales,
 Laura Martin, Alex Maleev
Writer: Matt Fraction
Penciller: Olivier Coipel, Mark Morales
Colorist: Laura Martin
Letterer: Joe Sabino

So apparently there’s probably three things Thor cares a great deal about:

  1. hitting things with his hammer
  2. declaring war
  3. sex
After these two comics I’ve read, both written by Fraction, I can safely say that sex seems to be very high on Thor’s list of priorities, so much so that he’s willing to neglect waging war against Galactus (he’s even already in his STELLAR armor) for a quickie with Sif. After the terrible come-on in the last issue, I am frankly amazed (and definitely side-eyeing Sif’s so-called badassery) that she is willing to engage in sexual congress with this guy. Speaking of side-eyeing Sif, her one scene involved her completely naked. She was wielding a sword, yes, but… you know, if someone could point me towards a comic that featured a somewhat exploitative scene with a naked Thor, then I’d be a little more tolerable of this scene. But then again, I don’t really need to see a naked Thor.


I could probably talk about the sheer ridiculousness of this scene for the rest of this entry but I should move on. One doesn’t want to focus too much on Thor’s promiscuity.

I was pretty interested to read this issue because the last one ended with a confrontation between Thor and the Silver Surfer, a character than I am anxious to read more about. The following fight scene in this issue was definitely enjoyable and well-illustrated by Coipel and Morales. It was definitely full of action and fluid-looking, instead of simply overwhelming.

This issue also had a pretty interesting twist regarding the mysterious and ultra-powerful Galactus seed. Odin refuses to hand it over. The Silver Surfer warns ominously. Galactus (who is apparently just a white guy in a Judge Dredd costume hanging out in space) wants godhood. War is declared. Quite a bit to handle in one issue. There was also some funny gods-and-Oklahoma-residents interactions in the beginning of the issue that was genuinely enjoyable. So far, Marvel is winning the humor in comics contest (which is totally a real thing, don’t judge me). After reading so many dark comics, it’s just fun to read something so easily light-hearted every once in a while.

Overall, regardless of the numerous times I side-eyed everyone and everything in this comic, I have to admit that I am intrigued by the storyline. Fraction hooked me. Damn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment